Thursday 1 December 2011

Triduum Day 1 (St. Edmund Campion)

I am a hypocrite. I do not know about you.
I do not practise what I preach. I do not know about you.
I do not like “I”. But, I do not like “I” is not the same as I do not like “me” of the poor self-esteem kind even if that may be true that I do not like “me”. But, I do not like “I” because it is not a good starting point for homilies for the reasons of hypocrisy or the reason of not practising what one preaches.[1]
However, this much is what each one here should know. “I” should not be the starting point of our morality because the “I” may not be the best barometer of what or how we ought to behave. For example, many of us may say, “I am a hypocrite and therefore who am I to judge?” What this statement means is that our morality will be based on the lowest common denominator. Just because I am not “up to the mark” does not mean I cannot say something.
So, there is a reason for not liking this “I” which might become clear to you later. For now, with this little preamble, I will proceed to speak to you in the person of “I”. 
Today, we celebrate St Edmond Campion. Let me say a few things about him and then get to the point where he is important to why I choose to speak as an “I”.
Firstly, who was he? He was a Jesuit priest, born in the England of social upheaval and religious persecution. What was he famous for? He was the most famous of the English martyrs who gave up a promising career at Oxford and also an invitation to enter the service of Queen Elizabeth I of England in order to become a Catholic priest. Why did he do that? He was ordained a deacon in the Church of England and the more he studied, the more he became convinced that the Catholic Church had the true faith. Thus, in conscience, he had to leave England and in his sojourn in Continental Europe, he joined the Society of Jesus. When the new mission to England opened up, he and two others were the first few to be sent. In London where he arrived, he wrote a manifesto of the mission which became known as the "Campion's Brag."
The mission was religious and not political. Let me read a snippet towards the end of the Brag which was directed to the Privy Council of the Queen. “And touching our Society, be it known to you that we have made a league—all the Jesuits in the world, whose succession and multitude must overreach all the practice of England—cheerfully to carry the cross you shall lay upon us, and never to despair your recovery, while we have a man left to enjoy your Tyburn, or to be racked with your torments, or consumed with your prisons. The expense is reckoned, the enterprise is begun; it is of God; it cannot be withstood. So the faith was planted: So it must be restored.”
Never mind the pride detected therein or even the naïveté of a brash Jesuit.  The “expense is reckoned, the enterprise is begun; it is of God; it cannot be withstood”.
Tonight, I would like to speak of the expense and the enterprise that has begun. But, humbly, I cannot promise that it is of God therefore there is no guarantee that it will last.
The Jubilee draws to close a journey that we have begun not just two and half years ago but ten years ago to be precise. I must say with gratitude to God our Lord that He has deign to retain me that long in this parish because it was only in the last few years that the shape of the enterprise has become clearer and more focused.
How can I describe this focus?
Firstly, the “I” I mentioned earlier. It is an entrapped “I”. We are unable to speak because we do not possess enough credibility and the result is a kind of Pelagianism. When we speak only because we are perfect or have credibility, it is another way of saying that I, on my own, possess the strength and grace to make God worthy of me.[2] But, that is not even our “sin”. It is the walls that we have built up in such a way that we are not able to speak to one another anymore. Perhaps you understand why “Self-Help” is so popular because it is symptomatic of a world of entrapped “I”s. Furthermore, this “I” is actually more “me” than anything else and this “me” cannot be the foundation of what we intend to build: “these remain faithful to the teaching of the apostles, to the brotherhood, to the breaking of bread and to the prayers”. The “I” of Acts 2:42, is a communitarian “I”. And when we are unable to breach the walls of the entrapped “I”, we are reduced to looking for things to do, in order to unite us. Just observe the stalemate in the field of ecumenism and inter-religious dialogue. We dare not dream that truth can be arrived at and therefore we are content to try to “work” together. No wonder we have to speak of tolerance or acceptance.
Secondly, to allow a “communitarian I” to emerge is to describe an ontological journey. What do I mean by that? Ontology is the study of being. What is so great about that? Nothing! If you consider that it is probably a dead science. For example, some priests no longer believe in “ontological change” when it comes to the description of ordination to the priesthood.[3] According to them, such a phrase has no meaning. So, who cares what a thing may be except that it works. If you think about it, a part of the difficulty that we encounter in building community is because we have focused on the functionality of community. We are concerned with the structures that make community work. So, we set out to build the BECs thinking that by giving the BECs structures they will work. How far have we gone? Is it not true that we constantly have to reinvent ourselves? Is it not true that we often find it hard to convince people of the need to be part of the BEC. Does a husband need to re-invent himself? Or a wife? OK, maybe wives need to lah because of the availability of plastic surgery. But, we instinctively know that there are couples, for all intents and purposes, are not “in fashion” but their love last seems to last longer than fads come and go. You see, structures help but they do not define us.
Maybe this has not escaped you. The current batch of altar servers is not allowed to receive Holy Communion on the hand. All of them just follow the “ruling” because Father has decreed it so. But, do you know why? The reason is ontological. Either it is or it is not the Body of Christ. Perhaps, for many of us, it is symbolic more than it is really the Body of Christ. What we receive is the True Presence, not false. What we receive is really Jesus, not a symbol. What we receive is substantially the same Jesus who walked 2000 years ago. I mean, I sometimes see how an elderly person comes up tottering and unstable and receives Holy Communion on the hand. He is afraid that the HC might fall out of his hand and so he grabs it. There is desecration that takes place because in grabbing the Consecrated Host, they will be particles of sacred species that drop of the hand. Now, unless the teaching of the Church has changed, our behaviour must comport with what Holy Communion really is. I go through the motion of cleaning the sacred vessels because I behave according to what Holy Communion really is. Ontology, that is, being determines the manner of our acting.
I want to be clear about this. My telling you this is not asking you to change your mode of receiving Holy Communion. Instead, it gives you an example of how the journey you have been making in the last ten years is like, fortunately or unfortunately, with me at the helm. It is a journey, which I would describe, in the reclamation of ontology. Is it important? It is.
My “conversation” with the altar servers over 10 years has been based on this. They are the best if you consider that they have somehow perfected the ritual to a “T”. How did they do this? Fear and punishment were the tools to achieve perfection. When fear and punishment were removed, their true character came out. Little interiorisation was taking place and conversion was negligible. The conversation has not been easy because their mode of engagement and by and large ours too, is markedly functional. Do what is required in order to meet the “definition” of what a server is supposed to be.
This conversation I have been having with the serves is mirrored at large with the parish. We are best when we are functional. It is efficient. But, when we are functional, whatever we do is merely a job and we return to what we have always been when there is nothing to do. Imagine relationships built on functionality. Can you imagine this of a wife or of a mother? Furthermore, when we operate according to the principle of function, what happens when we do not feel like functioning? What happens when we do not feel up to serving or working or being a husband? We know how painful that is when utility is the currency we use to purchase friendship. Utility alone demeans our dignity as human beings.
The reclamation of ontology is an expression of this desire to learn the truth and to live by the truth, no matter how difficult and unpleasant it may be. It is a process, a journey and a conversion. We must make the transition to living who we are rather than be defined by what we do. And without fail, I have impressed, Sunday after Sunday, homily after homily that it is from knowing what a thing is, for example, Holy Communion or knowing who we are, for example, Catholics, that all our actions follow. Yes, we will fail but that is the matter for confession.
Once, I had a conversation with a young man. He was not a practising Catholic and he wanted to have a Catholic wedding. He had been living in with his fiancé and they both got civilly married on a particular date which sort of rhymed. You know the obsession people can have with numbers. The problem was that between the date of the civil marriage and the date of the Church wedding would be a year exactly. I told him that his status remained that of unmarried in the eyes of the Church and that if he lived with his so-called “wife”, he would have to contracept. His response was simply, “Catholics are doing it nowadays, anyway”. That conversation had every mark of civility but nowhere near enlightment, not my enlightment, but rather of the enlightment of the Church and of Christ our Lord.
As you can detect, our conversations are markedly “functional” instead of ontological. Therefore, the jubilee is not ending. Instead, our jubilee merely denotes a long haul if ever we want to be the parish that is supposedly shaped according to Acts 2:42. The quotation is not a prescription of what the early Church community did but rather it is a description of what the early Church was. It was the Church Christ founded upon the Apostles and that was why it behaved in that manner. Today, we pray for the grace to return to the being of truth so that we may live the truth of being.


[1]Sometimes, the reticence in using “I” could be a fear that one has to live up to what one preaches and that may be too troublesome. Why strive when you can cruise?
[2]Relook the 1st Sunday of Advent’s Collect. “All powerful God, increase our strength of will for doing good that Christ may find an eager welcome at His coming and call us to His side in the kingdom of heaven”. The phrasing of the old translation seemed to assume that we already have the strength of will and God merely adds a little more to what we already possess. The truth is we have none.
[3]Consider this: A priest has left the ministry and has been laicised. He can no longer function as a priest. But, if this ex-priest were to encounter a Catholic, lying on the road and dying due to an accident, or a Catholic, whose death is imminent from a terminal disease, he can still absolve the penitent of his sins. Read Can 976: Any priest, even though he lacks the faculty to hear confessions, can validly absolve any penitents who are in danger of death, from any censures and sins, even if an approved priest is present.